Data Mesh: Game Changer or Just Hot Air?
Opinions on Data Mesh vary from “gamechanger” to “just hot air”. Nevertheless, the concept addresses some highly relevant points. It’s about a focus on data products and the decentralized creation and responsibility for data products in the line of business, based on a self-service analytics infrastructure and federated data governance with a high degree of automation.
But is data mesh being applied in practice and how is it understood? What functional, technical and organizational measures are companies taking to introduce data mesh and how far have they come so far? Does data mesh place special demands on the technology? Is it possible to implement it in an established data landscape, or is it necessary to start from scratch?
This study explores the following themes
- – How companies feel about data mesh
- – How relevant the concept is in terms of the data democratization journey
- – The organizational and technical directions enterprises are currently taking in terms of data mesh
- – The experience companies have had with data mesh to date
- – How consistently data mesh advocates act and how that differs from the actions of those who do not consider data mesh relevant
- – Data intelligence in the context of data mesh
Sample + related content
The study is based on a worldwide online survey of 345 companies, conducted from December 2022 to January 2023.
Click here to see the infographic based on the survey findings.
The report is supported by:
Authors: Jacqueline Bloemen, Timm Grosser & Thomas Zeutschler
Published: May 10, 2023
– via Denodo website
– via One Data website